When it comes to controlling your diet, it can get so confusing with so much contradicting information around – don’t eat carbs, eat carbs but don’t eat them after 4pm, don’t cut carbs, eat low fat, don’t eat low fat food etc. I’ve compiled a list of my top nutritional tips below; I’ll explain why you need to follow each tip in more detail later on.
MY TOP TIPS FOR A LEAN, CLEAN BODY:
1. Drink lots of water: Aim to drink 3L a day, basically the more you can drink the better.
2. Eat lots of fiber (fruit, veg, wholegrains – brown rice/bread, oats, psyllium husks, flaxseeds)
3. Eat lots of Fruit, Vegetables and Wholegrains
4. Eat lots of Lean protein
5. Eat Good fats: Nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, omega 3 supplements
6. Avoid Processed food – (anything made in a factory) chips, biscuits, tinned food, frozen meals,
7. Avoid Sugar and Refined carbs – white rice, white bread, , white flour, white pasta (anything that’s been stripped of goodness)
8. Avoid Fried food/saturated fats (butter, marg, cream, cheese, hot chips, fried calamari etc.)
9. Avoid Soft drinks, Fruit juice, Alcohol, Tea & coffee
10. Always eat breakfast – it gets the metabolism cranking for the day
11. Don’t skip meals – when you skip meals your metabolism slows right down and your body holds onto your fat stores incase famine is around the corner
12. Don’t deprive yourself – everything is fine in moderation. As soon as you tell yourself that you can’t have something e.g. chocolate you’re going to want it more and then binge on it, so rather just have a little bit every now and then to satisfy your craving but just be careful not to go overboard. I live by the 80/20 rule – eat well 80% of the time and eat what you want the other 20%.